Table of contents
ServiceNow Discovery may not be giving you everything you need. Keep reading to discover why.
Automated IT asset discovery is a must-have to quickly find and identify infrastructure components and assist with compliance needs and audit device changes. ServiceNow Discovery’s data is critical to a Configuration Management Database (CMDB). It helps identify infrastructure devices, components, and software, including identifying infrastructure changes (approved and unapproved).
Why do you need ServiceNow Discovery?
Typically, organizations use the ServiceNow Discovery tool to:
- Ensure hardware, software, and operating system components are documented
- Ensure all changes are properly authorized via the change control process. (validates/audits approved changes)
- Have a holistic and transparent view of infrastructure, and its components, within the enterprise
- Enhance operational management processes (Request Management, Incident Management, Change Management, Release Management, Problem Management, Configuration Management, IT Asset Management, Software Asset Management, break-fix/IMAC, chargebacks, etc.)
ServiceNow is certainly a leader in IT Service Management (ITSM), which often translates into a belief that their discovery is too. As discussed in a previous blog “ServiceNow Competitors – Are there any?” existing ServiceNow ITSM customers would be wise to explore other automated discovery solutions and not use ServiceNow’s ITSM market share as an indication of how well their ServiceNow Discovery agent works.
Just because an investment in ServiceNow ITSM was made, technology teams should not be absolved from seeking “best of breed” discovery options that will work with ServiceNow ITSM.
At Virima, we recommend understanding how the ServiceNow Discovery implementation and technology works prior to purchase, the requirement to manually fine-tune what it discovers, and whether its capabilities are worth the high expense of the solution.
IT asset discovery fundamentals
Deploying and configuring IT asset discovery technologies can be difficult and time-consuming, especially if a solution offers limited discovery options. Agentless discovery is generally faster to deploy and can discover the broadest range of devices like servers and network infrastructure.
Installable agents are useful for desktops and laptops that get powered down and/or roam off the network but not all devices can take an agent, hence the recent widespread use of agentless discovery. Any fundamental ServiceNow discovery solution should include both options because one size never fits all.
To ease the comparison, here are some other ITSM features to look for:
- Scanner type: agent-based and agentless
- Scan: Servers, Desktops, Virtual, Network, Application, Database, Network, VPN, Mobile, Hand-held scanners, Printers, Medical Devices, Cloud
- Discover: Configurations, Software, OS Patches, Certificates, Relationships, Custom Attributes, Cloud Assets.
- Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux, UNIX, Mobile.
- Scanner scheduling: Manual, scheduled, automated redundancy if a scan is not delivered.
Deployment and support ease of IT Service Management
- SaaS or on-premise
- Web interface
- Out-of-box deployment ease
- Self-install or automated deployment
- Vendor implementation services
- Middle server technology required (mid-server)
- Online help files and knowledge base
- Ability to call customer support
- Servers can be hosted on virtual devices
ServiceNow ITSM integration
- Service catalog
- Request management
- Change management
- Incident management
- Problem management
- Configuration management
Discovered attributes of IT change management:
- Device name
- Device description
- Device type
- Model description
- Model number
- Manufacturer ID
- Serial number (if known)
- Created on
- Last modified on
- TCP/IP address
- MAC address
- Last user
- Device status
Discovery technologies, like ServiceNow Discovery, require a multitude of discovery servers to support the solution. For example, MID server, management server, discovery server. This is not the case with Virima as our web-based solution is designed for deployment ease.
Leveraging a virtual “relay” server that sits on-prem, our solution connects directly to a secure AWS cloud. This approach ensures the security of your data within your enterprise and within the cloud. Plus, unlike ServiceNow change management., Virima offers an installable IT Discovery agent for complete flexibility, while also offering dependency mapping out of the box.
Choose the right discovery tool
As discovery solutions are considered, here are a few points that you too may want to include within the search for the ideal discovery tool for your enterprise:
- The cost of discovery technology deployment. (discovery servers, middle-ware technology needs, etc.)
- Ability to leverage both agent and agentless discovery technologies
- Understanding how data is transferred and secured outside of your enterprise
- The ability to write custom discovery technologies (as required)
- Understanding the breadth, and depth, of data collected
- Does the solution require a cloud vs. on-prem deployment?
- Does the solution provide features and product functionality beyond discovery?
- Ease of integrating a CMDB and/or service management tool
- Ease-of-use User Interface
- Ease of data import, data integration, and deployment
- Additional training and support costs
- Understanding of professional service options and fees
It’s important to remember that the success and challenge of any discovery tool lies in its ability to capture the entire enterprise. This includes discovery, and transportation of data via network firewalls, Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections, Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) environments, and other isolated networks. This is critical to minimize the need to manually discover, and manage, devices within your infrastructure.
And lastly, always compare solutions prior to acquisition. Features, functionality, overall capability, and price are all key factors when acquiring the discovery technology for your enterprise.
Evaluate your requirements
As you continue your venture of discovering devices and components within your IT enterprise, remember this: It is best if you evaluate your options. Capture requirements devised by your stakeholders, validate what you captured, identify gaps, prioritize your immediate versus long term needs, assess the cost of purchasing and deploying the solution, and don’t forget reviewing the “ease of use” for both you and your stakeholders.
Now take these requirements and leverage them within your vendor discussions as the evaluation of three products occur. Why three? It will provide you with an objective perspective without it turning into an “analysis paralysis” initiative.
Upon completion, review your evaluation results with your stakeholders and gather their input/feedback. This will assure stakeholder support continues as they have a seat at the table.
Sure, ServiceNow is a juggernaut and their IT discovery works better than most. However, do its features and functionality really address the operational needs of your business and address the needs of your business stakeholders?
Virima: A constant in IT discovery services
Are there better options at a more cost-effective price and total overall better value? Does the ease of deployment and usability make it operationally more effective? How does the total cost of ownership compare against other solutions?
All great questions for you to leverage and demonstrate that thought leadership has been applied within your decision-making process. And management likes that.
|Amount of discovery servers required||Numerous discovery servers are needed to support discovery technologies like ServiceNow Discovery.||Multiple discovery servers are not required as the web-based Virima solution makes deployment simple.|
|Provision of installable agent||ServiceNow does not provide an installable agent||Virima provides an IT Discovery agent that can be installed for total flexibility and includes dependency mapping.|
|Secure connection to an AWS cloud||ServiceNow does not connect directly to a secure AWS cloud||Virima solution connects directly to a secure AWS cloud|
Virima features can automatically discover and map your critical IT resources and the interconnections that link them, your applications and services, and your users.
To see how Virima IT Discovery automates your CMDB into an operational, trustworthy, and actionable database, check out our subscriptions.
Virima is here to help. To get started, contact us today to schedule a demo and explore the possibilities!